Wednesday, March 5, 2014



Prepare Yourself for Rejection

I saved this topic for the end of my series of posts because it worries me a little. I can’t even tell you how many times I have been rejected for job positions just since December! Let’s do the math. I am almost sure that I have submitted my resume through online forums, postings, and emails over 80 times. Out of those submissions, I have received 22 interviews. This includes both in person and on the phone/Skype. Also included are the companies that interviewed me three times. Out of the 12 companies that interviewed me, I received an offer from one. Yes, ONE! I should be proud, but it was not exactly my dream job. It is just something to get me to the next level. So, in the end I was rejected by 11 companies that actually met me, and about 65 or so that never even responded to me. I have to admit, my spirit is hurt a little bit. As recent graduates, we believe that our degree alone is going to get us into a great job that will pay for our loans and then some. Truth is, it’s a tough world and we’re going to face a lot of rejection. The trick is to never let the rejection turn you away and you just give up. You must prepare yourself and turn that rejection into a lesson.

How Do I Know That I Am Being Rejected?
In most cases, companies will straight up tell you that you have not been offered the position. Unfortunately, there are interviewers/companies that will never give you an answer. I have had many interviews where the interviewer told me that they would let me know either way and I never heard from them again. This leaves me wondering what I did wrong during my interview, and then I am left with a bunch of “what ifs”. Let’s hope that this isn’t your situation, because if you are waiting around for 90 days to hear back from a company, it is the biggest waste of time and also the hardest rejection. I say this because we all know how the waiting game can hurt feelings. Other than that, you can also look for clues during your interview. I honestly had an interviewer say, “It was great meeting you, Michaela. I hope you find what you are looking for.” What else am I looking for? It was this job, but okay. He told me right then and there that he would not be hiring me. So, hopefully you will receive a quick and less painless email that gives you closure. Like I said, I have received a few myself. I truly hate that I am putting up my rejection letter for all to see, but here it goes!



Like I had told you all in my first few posts, I am learning along with you. This was actually the first time that I received a rejection and then asked for feedback. I usually just move on, but because I had went through three interviews for this company and was truly shocked when I was not chosen (I did everything they asked of me- from singing, telling a joke, to role playing during my interviews). I was one of the few that showed no fear. So I was quite surprised that I did not get the job. I was also wondering what I was missing. As you can see, it all came down to qualifications and a checklist that I will never know the contents of. Since I never had sent a letter back for feedback, I definitely had to research how to do it professionally. This way worked out for me. So, please feel free to note my wording.

Turn this negative- into a positive+
I like to look at everything as a lesson. Honestly, as much as I mess up, I have learned a lot. From each rejection and interview, I learned something valuable. I learned how to dress properly. I learned what to say and what not to say. These are important lessons that help you to obtain skills and knowledge you need for the real world. I look at it like this- Two years ago, I was interviewing for retail and internships. Now I am interviewing for corporate positions that I never thought I would have had a shot at. Also, you all should know that I beat out over 200 other students that submitted their resumes to the same position that I was rejected for following my third interview. This means I even beat out the ones that never even survived the first and second rounds. This speaks volumes and is something that I should be proud of! Let the rejection part roll off, and use this new information. I know that I will be using my new lessons for future interviews. For example, I learned new techniques to let my interviewer know that I would like feedback whether or not I am being hired. I definitely won’t be playing the waiting game again. What I take away from this the most is my overall transformation. I am way more confident going into interviews now than I ever was. I am sure this will show in my presentation and is what all of this rejection gave me. So find your bright side!

In the end, I learned the job market is not easy and only the strong survive. So get strong! The worst thing that you can do after rejection is give up. Do you think companies want to hire a quitter? NO! They want somebody ambitious and determined. That could be you! So get it together. We’re recent grads with something to fight for!

Yours truly,
      Michaela

No comments:

Post a Comment